It's almost that time of the week. You know what I'm talking about. Hump Day necessitates an after-work cocktail to celebrate being halfway through the week. And then Thursday is obviously a great day for happy hour — only to be beaten by Friday. And God bless the places that have weekend happy hours. (If you can't tell yet, I love me some happy hour. There's a reason it's called "happy.") The only decision isn't whether to go, but where to go. And as someone who spends all my weekdays downtown and has tried pretty much every happy hour option here, I've got a few great downtown suggestions for you. In geographical order from South to North, these are the places I love most for their atmosphere, drinks, and food.
Happy Hour: 2:30pm-6pm, 7 days a week
If you've read my blog before, you know that Panzano is hands-down my favorite HH spot ever. The cocktails ($6) and food ($4-$7) are both absolutely fantastic (and the beer is only $4 and wine $5). The selection of both is huge and you can easily have a full dinner here at happy hour prices.
My recommendations here:
- Cocktail: “R and R” (Grey Goose vodka, raspberry liqueur, muddled raspberries, rosemary, splash of soda
- Cocktail: “Cucumber Mint Mule” (Bombay Sapphire gin, lime juice, ginger beer, muddled mint and cucumber
- Food: Cavolini di Bruxelles (brussel sprouts with apple cider reduction, pistachios, rosemary salt, and sliced green apple)
- Food: Scallopini di Vitello (grass-fed veal scallopini with lemon, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, mashed potatoes, and spinach)
- Food: Capesante (pan-seared scallop, spinach, ricotta gnudi, spring vegetables, basil leek nage, saffron pecorino, fried shallots, and mint) — pictured above